Go to navigation

Business rubbish

Your legal obligations

Business owners or managers are responsible for disposing of the waste produced by their company. They must arrange for it to be collected by a licensed waste carrier or dispose of it directly at a permitted waste site.

You must use a licensed waste carrier. If you don't, you could be prosecuted under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

It is an offence to take business waste into a Household waste recycling centre. Do not use these for business, commercial or trade waste disposal.

Take it to be disposed of

The Environment Agency has a list of landfill sites and other waste facilities to which you can take your trade waste. You can contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506. 

Kent County Council (KCC) have worked closely with the Environment Agency to create a more localised list of permitted waste sites and companies licensed to collect waste in Kent. For more information visit the KCC business waste site.

Dispose of it on your land

Even if carried out on your own land, activities such as burning or burying waste or spreading manure require environmental permit exemptions or regulations to be followed. 

Comprehensive information and advice on trade waste can be found on the Environment Agency website.