Go to navigation
Dog breeding licence
You must have a dog breeding licence if you breed and sell
The licence is required under the
Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and will be valid for 1
ask for more information about the licence and its
conditions before applying.
Apply for a licence
To request an application form for a dog breeding licence
phone 01634 333 333.
A vet or other inspector will visit and want to see that your
- live in suitable accommodation
- receive adequate food, water and bedding
- get enough exercise
- are transported in safe and comfortable conditions
- are protected in case of fire or other emergency
- are protected from the spread of disease
If your licence application is refused
You will not be given a licence if you’ve been convicted of any
animal welfare offences or do not meet the criteria to be a
suitable dog breeder.
If you feel you have been wrongly refused a licence, you can
appeal to the Magistrate's Court.
Renew your licence
You must renew your dog breeding licence every
year, before the expiry date, if you wish to continue as a dog