Go to navigation
Pet shop licence
To run a business selling pet animals in Medway you need a
licence under the Pet Animals Act
This includes pet shops and businesses selling animals over the
However, you don’t need a pet shop licence to sell:
- pedigree animals that you’ve bred
- animals that are offspring of your own pet
ask for more information about the licence and its
conditions before applying.
Apply for a licence
application form for a pet shop licence
Tacit consent does apply, meaning you will be able to perform as
though your application is granted if you've not heard from us
in 28 days.
Once you've applied
Before we grant a licence we will carry out an inspection
to check that:
- the accommodation will be suitable for the animals
- you’ll provide enough food and drink and visit the animals
regularly where necessary
- you’ll take reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of
- mammals won’t be sold if they’re too young
- you have appropriate plans in case of fire or other
If your licence application is refused
You will not be given a licence if you’ve been convicted of any
animal welfare offences or do not meet the criteria to run a pet
If you feel you have been wrongly refused a licence, you can
appeal to the Magistrate's Court.
Renew your licence
You need to renew your pet shop licence every
The renewal fee must be paid, even if, for example, you
only applied for a new licence a month before.