Go to navigation
Late night refreshment
Supplying hot food or hot drink to the
public for consumption on or off the premises
between 11pm and 5am is a licensable activity. Please apply for a
licence or temporary event notice.
Definition of hot
Food or drink is defined as hot
- the temperature of the food / drink is above ambient air
- it is heated on the premises or elsewhere before it is supplied
to the public.
'Supply' not 'Sale'
The licensable activity is the
'supply' of hot food or hot drink.
Supply is the time that you hand
over the food to a customer. Please do
not confuse this to the sale when you take the order and
Please make sure that you take into
- when you take your last orders;
- how long it takes to cook so that you are not breaching the
- time is takes to package the food;
- the time when you hand over the hot food or hot drink;
- that you apply correctly for the hours that you want to licence
(between 11pm and 5am);
- whether you supply the hot food or hot drink on or off
(please see the definitions on takeaways and restaurants).
Vending machines are
exempt if customers can help themselves to hot drinks only. Staff
canteens, campsites, hotels and guesthouses are exempt.
If you want to operate as a takeaway
after 11pm then the late night refreshment is
to supply the food for the customer to take 'off' the
premises. If you have an area inside which allows for customer to
consume food on the premises then you may need to tick both 'on and
off' the premises.
At a restaurant you supply the food
'on' the premises but if you also provide a takeaway service
then you will need to tick 'both'.
For more information contact Licensing Unit by
telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 /
Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: email@example.com
Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road,
Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR