Go to navigation
Report benefit fraud
Benefits help many people who are in need, however, many claim
when they are not entitled to do so.
If you deliberately fail to report a change in your personal
circumstances or are dishonest about information supporting your
benefit claim, you are committing benefit fraud.
Those who commit benefit fraud:
- steal from the taxpayer
- deny others much-needed resources
- damage the welfare system
Fraud Hotline - 01634 332233
You can use our hotline to report fraud in Medway. This may
- People who are working but do not declare this when they claim
- People who claim as a single person but actually live with a
- People who claim from an address but do not live there
- People who claim disability benefit or use a Blue Badge when
they are not declared disabled
Phone the number 01634 332233 to select the type of
fraud you wish to report and you will be directed to our
fraud investigations team, where you can speak to someone in
Reports can be made anonymously and
information may be passed on to other organisations the council
work with, such as the police or Department for Work and
Once a report is made, we will investigate it and decide if
any action needs to be taken. This could be a caution, fine or
The hotline is one way the council helps
to reduce fraud and protect public funds.
You can also report
benefit fraud online at the DWP website.