Go to navigation

Paying for your care

If you pass our assessment of your criteria to receive care, you will then need a financial assessment. This will be arranged by us.

We will need to know:

  • your income
  • your expenditure
  • your savings
  • any other assets

If you have over £23,250 in your account, you will have to pay the full cost of your care.

We will:

  • check to make sure that you are receiving all of the correct benefits. If you are not, we will tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) who will help you make a claim for them 
  • calculate what you can afford to pay
  • explain how you can pay
  • ensure that you fully understand what will happen in the future should anything change in your finances 

You will receive your first invoice within 7 weeks of the visit, or a letter explaining why this is not possible.

Third party top-up payment

A top up payment is needed if you choose a care home more expensive than the council's regular rate for someone with your care needs. This rate is what we think is a fair and reasonable amount for a care home in Medway.

If your needs require a care home that exceeds our regular rate, we will fund 100% of the costs and top-up will not be necessary.

Paying the top-up

This must be paid by someone other than you or us, usually a family member, friend or organisation. You may only pay the top-up yourself if:


If you have property and assets over £23,250, you will usually pay all your care costs. This is being a 'self-funder'. Read more on financial assessments as a self-funder.

Independent financial advice

You are entitled to independent financial advice to guide you through your personal care costs and we can help you find independent advice about your care costs. 

  • The Financial Conduct Authority website has a range of easy to understand advice and information on sourcing financial advice. All advisors should be accredited by the FCA.
  • The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) aims to help people to find trusted accredited financial advisers who have a particular understanding of financial needs in later life. The website offers an online search of SOLLA accredited advisers.
  • The Saga Care Funding Advice Service specialises in providing care funding advice for people who need to pay for their own care needs. There is a useful free guide to paying for care on their website.
  • Paying for Care is a not-for-profit organisation which includes advice on its website on paying for care, as well as an online care fees calculator and a care cap calculator. For SOLLA-accredited advisers, look for the red and purple flower logo by their name.
  • Money Advice Service is a range of free and impartial money advice, set up by the government.
  • The care calculator works out how much you'll pay before reaching the new care cost cap amount by asking you simple questions about where you live, your savings and income.
Where to get advice
  • Unbiased.co.uk - Has a network of 15,000 independent financial and restricted whole-of-market advisers.
  • VouchedFor - Features exclusively independent advisers. The website hosts reviews of independent financial advice, checking them to make sure they're from genuine clients.
  • Money Advice Service - Free, impartial advice money advice, set up by the government