Go to navigation

Food hygiene, safety and training

Make a complaint about a food business

If you are a customer of a food business, you should first contact the food business operator, preferably in writing. If that does not work and if you are located in the UK, our Consumer Advice pages will provide you with further advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you have bought food that contains a foreign object

You can return it to the shop or we may be able to investigate it on your behalf. If you want us to look into the matter, keep the food, packaging and the foreign object. Where possible, the object should not be removed from the food. We will also need the receipt. You will have to fill in a form and show us the food and packaging. We are not able to seek or negotiate compensation on your behalf. Perishable foods should be kept in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent deterioration.

If you are a business

The Foods Standards Agency has a lot of advice information to help catering and retail businesses.