Go to navigation

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing is a term used to describe a type of sheltered housing property that has a permanent care team located within the building to meet the needs of tenants or homeowners who live there.

It supports those over 55 years of age to live independently in their own homes within a community setting. The schemes consist of self-contained apartments, communal spaces and support services. Care staff are on site 24/7.

If you're thinking about moving, maybe because your current home is too much to manage, and you want to retain your independence and privacy, extra care housing might be an option for you. It can help people who:

  • may need to leave their home because of life changes or health problems
  • have had an assessment and have an identified need for care
  • want to stay in control of their life
  • want privacy and independence but need some help with day to day living.

The range of care services includes personal care and hygiene, help with dressing and undressing, assistance to get up in the morning and go to bed in the evening, assistance with taking medication, assistance with meals or with meal preparation in your own home and general monitoring of health and well being.

For more information about Extra Care Housing, download the Medway Extra Care Accommodation Guidance document.

Extra Care Housing in Medway

There are currently three in Medway:

There are also two under development which are due to open in 2018:

All apartments are safe and secure and tenants benefit from alarm and door entry systems. All schemes have communal lounges and facilities are available for tenants who have a disability – for example specially adapted bathrooms allowing easy access for tenants in wheel chairs. Guest rooms are also available for use at low cost to families and friends to stay in.

Apply for Extra Care Housing

Complete the Extra Care Housing Application form.

Find out more

The benefits

  • Care staff are available between 7am and 10pm every day to provide care and support in line with an individual tenant’s care and support plan. They're also on site between 10pm and  7am to respond to emergency needs
  • You have security and privacy with your own front door – you decide who comes in
  • You have your own self-contained accommodation, but can also benefit from communal facilities, for   example – shared lounge, restaurant and dining room/café. Some have patios and gardens that tenants can use and enjoy
  • You will have a tenancy agreement
  • Couples can stay together in Extra Care
  • You have control over your finances
  • staff will help ensure your views on how the scheme helps support everyone are heard
  • You are living at home – not in a residential care home.

Eligibility criteria

  • You must have care/support services identified by Medway Council’s Adult Social Care Services following a care assessment
  • You must be a resident or have connections to Medway
  • You must have an eligible housing needs
  • You must be over 55 years old

It's different to ordinary sheltered housing

You have the added benefit of care/support staff available 24 hours a day, either on the premises or on call. The care staff are available from 7am to 10pm during the day to deliver care as part of a planned package of care. Staff are also available between 10pm to 7am each night to respond to emergencies only. Scheme managers are there during standard working hours.

When you move into Extra Care Housing, a care and support plan will be drawn up with you detailing the type, range and level of any care and support you can expect to have. The plan will set out what support and care you require from scheme staff as well as from other agencies. It will also give other information such as who should be contacted or informed if you are unwell.

On site care and support staff will arrange to review your care and support plan with you after a settling in period to ensure your needs are being met appropriately. Reviews will then take place at regular intervals. Should you or the care and support team feel that your needs have significantly changed before that time, your plan can be reviewed accordingly.

If your partner receives care services already

You can move in together and depending on the scheme you're moving into, it's likely you will be issued a starter tenancy, which will be reviewed to ensure we are still able to meet your needs and the needs of your partner. Your family and friends can visit and help you as before, with the added support of the on-site care and support staff.

If your health gets worse

Your needs may change over time, and so your care needs will be reassessed on a regular basis. The care staff will be as flexible as possible to help meet your individual needs. Where there is a permanent change the needs of the tenant will be reviewed by Medway Council’s Adult Social Care Services.

If your care needs change and extra care accommodation is no longer suitable then your social worker will discuss with you a permanent move into a residential care home or a nursing care home.


The amount you pay for your care will vary depending on your individual financial situation and your income. A financial assessment will be carried out and you may have to pay for all the costs, or you may be entitled to a reduction or benefits to cover some or all of the charges. We can arrange for someone from the Council to visit and discuss confidentially your financial situation. They will let you know what the charges will be and will check to see what benefits you are entitled to claim. If your care and support needs or income change then your care charges may increase or decrease.

Tenants living in Extra Care Housing can expect to pay:

  • the cost of buying or renting your home
  • the service charges associated with your home for maintenance and any communal facilities, as well as utilities like electric and water
  • your care and support costs
  • meal charge (if applicable)
  • a wellbeing charge which is a weekly contribution towards the cost of the care staff being on the premises at night time


If you have any further questions you can: