Go to navigation

Planning advice

Getting planning advice

Medway Council welcomes and positively encourages pre-application discussions with applicants, agents, developers and interested parties. These discussions can result in better quality applications which stand a better chance of a successful outcome and help to speed up the decision making process after submission. Get in touch on 01634 331700 or planning.representations@medway.gov.uk

Medway Council does not offer a duty planning officer service, general planning advice can be found free of charge on the Planning Portal.  If you require detailed advice this can be obtained via the pre-application service.

Apply for Planning

What needs planning permission?

Do you need planning permission? Explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House and Terrace for Visual guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects. Mini guides also provide interactive guidance on the most common householder projects.



One of the most common questions asked of the council's planning team is what development can be done without the need to apply for planning permission. This is known as permitted development

To find out whether or not proposed development - including new works or changes of use of land - would be lawful if carried out, apply to the council for a certificate of lawful development.

All development on St Mary's Island Chatham, requires planning permission and consent from Chatham Maritime Trust

Most kinds of development will need planning permission, however. The term development is very broad and could mean any of the following:

In addition, the council’s consent is usually required to alter a listed building, to demolish a house or other building within a conservation area or to display an advertisement.

You can also search for planning enforcement action taken by Medway Council.

How much does it cost?

There are costs involved in gaining planning permission, including statutory planning fees and charges for pre-application advice service.