Go to navigation

Permitted development

Some development of a minor nature can be carried out without the need to obtain planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

These rights are more restricted for properties in conservation areas. There are also different requirements for listed buildings.

For more information, please see the Planning Portal

In 2013, significant amendments were made to permitted development rights affecting houses, schools, offices, shops and other commercial and industrial buildings. You may need to formally notify us or apply for prior approval before the development takes place in order to benefit from these new permitted development rights. 

Particular care must be taken if the house is either a listed building, within a conservation area, affected by an Article 4 Direction or in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).

Some properties in Medway have further restrictions on the work that can be carried out without planning permission.

For example, some developments had conditions imposed when they were built that restrict the permitted development rights that relate to the property. For a formal decision on whether your proposal requires planning permission or not you will need to submit an application for a certificate of lawful development/use.

All development on St Mary's Island Chatham, requires planning permission and consent from Chatham Maritime Trust

What needs planning permission?

For a guide on whether work to a house requires planning permission, explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House and Terrace for Visual guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects.  

Lawful Development Certificate

If you think your proposal does not require planning permission you should submit an application for a certificate of lawful use/development. It is best to do this before carrying out work because the regulations are complex.