Go to navigation


Overgrown Council Owned Hedges

If you have a hedge outside your house, you must ensure it does not obstruct the path. If you notice overhanging hedges or trees that are causing an obstruction to the footpath or a public right of way, please report this to us.

Privately Owned High Hedges

If you feel that you are being negatively affected by a high hedge on neighbouring land, you are encouraged in the first instance to work with your neighbours to resolve the issue. As a last resort, you may be able to make a complaint to us under the "High Hedges" legislation. A high hedge has to consist of a line of at least two trees, be over two metres in height, be mainly evergreen or semi evergreen and be affecting the reasonable enjoyment of your property.

You will need to be able to demonstrate that you have made every reasonable attempt at resolving the dispute before involving us. National guidance on high hedge disputes and the process that will be followed if a complaint is submitted to Medway Council are available on the website of the Department of Communities and Local Government and can be found through the following links.

1) Guidance on how to resolve your high hedge dispute without involving the council.

2) Guidance on the types of high hedge complaints that can be considered by the council and the process for considering them.


It is important that you do all you can to resolve the dispute yourself. Involving the Council should be a last resort if you really can’t agree a solution. The Council can refuse to intervene if they think you haven’t done everything you reasonably could to settle your dispute. There is a fee set at £420 for administering most valid high hedge complains. The fee is non-refundable even if Medway Council upholds a complaint. This form should be completed for information, advice and enquiries relating to high hedge complaints.