Go to navigation

Register to vote

Annual Canvass 2016

Our annual canvass will run from 11 July to 30 November 2016 to update the electoral register, which is published on 1 December.

We must contact every property to find out if there are any changes to the household, for example, remove details of people who no longer live there or add new people. To do this we send every property a Household Enquiry Form.

We will begin with an E-Canvass, where anyone with an email address against their registration will receive an email from noreply@elecreg.co.uk asking them to respond to their Household Enquiry Form.

Then at the beginning of August, paper Household Enquiry forms will be sent by Royal Mail to all properties across Medway. On these forms there will also be details on how to respond online, by text or phone rather than returning the paper form.

Please note: The jury exempt age has changed from over 70 to over 76. Please check the details carefully before responding.

Please make sure you respond to the Household Enquiry Form as soon as you can. It is a legal requirement and you can be fined for not doing so.

Register to vote

Registering to vote means you have a right to vote in elections and it can also improve your credit rating.  

You can register to vote in local, national, and European elections as well as referendums if you are:

  • 16 or older (although you can’t vote until you are 18 years old)
  •  a British citizen
  • An Irish, eligible Commonwealth, or European Union citizen living in the UK

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the ‘head of every household’ could register everyone who lived at their address. Find out more about this change on the Your Vote Matters website.

How to register

Registering to vote is simple; all you need is your national insurance number.

Register to vote

What address you should register at

When registering to vote a person must give their home address.

If you have moved to a residential home, this should be the address you use.

If you live an equal amount of time in two properties e.g. you are a student, you can register at both your home address and student accommodation address, but you must not vote more than once in the same election.

If you do not have an address, for example if you are homeless, visit our voting without a fixed address page.

Find out if you’re already registered

Electoral registration is separate from other parts of the council. If you pay council tax or have a library card it doesn’t mean you’re automatically registered to vote.

If you’re not sure, find out if you are already registered.